Sunday, March 9, 2008

To Be So Wanted

The past few days were recruiting days for my graduate program. In the wacky world of science PhD programs, applicants are flown all over the country for swanky interviews that last several days and include meals at fine restaurants, freely flowing wine, outings in the city, and lots of talk about the programs. Lucky grad students like me get to participate in a lot of these events, helping to show a good face for the program and enjoying some exceptional meals. I love recruiting! But not only for the obvious perks. I love talking to the excited applicants, hearing about what they're looking for, remembering what I was thinking when I went through the same process two years ago. I quickly get overwhelmed and burnt out trying to socialize with 15-20 new people, but it's fun to answer their questions. And sometimes, there'll be one or two who capture my attention and I really hope will end up here. They're usually the ones who are eating up all the science (not just dedicated to one silly molecule), and also want to talk about books, food, music, hiking, politics, and the wide world.

No comments: