Saturday, March 1, 2008

The Kite Runner


After all the controversy surrounding the making of The Kite Runner movie, I was curious to see how it turned out, and how it compared to Khaled Hosseini's book that I read a couple of years ago. I think it is an excellent adaptation, giving a look at Kabul, Afghanistan that most of us don't usually see-- its conversion from thriving and happy city to bleak wasteland. The humiliating violence was less overt in the movie compared to my memory of the book, but I think that it was still powerful. I find that excessive violence diminishes the horror of it, because so much blood on screen becomes unreal. The relationships that Hosseini created between characters are touching and the words left unsaid over lifetimes are heart wrenching. Good job, Hosseini, good job, film director Marc Foster.

No comments: