Sunday, November 2, 2008

My classic CDs

We all must go through the cycle of buying new CDs, listening to them religiously for a while, and then forgetting about them when other new music replaces them. This weekend, I decided to go back to not just my all time favorites, but a broader sample. I flipped randomly to a page of my CD holder and made myself choose one of the 8 CDs that appeared (pretty lenient anyway). I ended up listening to Mark O'Connor "Heroes", the Macalester College orchestra playing Vivaldi, and Gaelic Storm "Tree".

Heroes was a favorite of mine at one point in large part because of the concept-- the whole CD is fiddle duos with Mark O'Connor and another fiddler who inspired him. That means a good range of styles on one disk. There's Texas Swing, some Bluegrass, and even some Indian music. And, man are those good fiddlers!

The Mac orchestra is a bit sloppy at times, but it's good to reminisce. Plus, I love listening to the Four Seasons.

Gaelic Storm's CD was my favorite of the three. I love the songs. I want to sing along and learn to play the fiddle parts. This is the band from the lower decks in the movie Titanic. They are a good trad/non trad Irish band and have some funny songs and pretty songs in this collection. Nice percussion, vocals and fiddle.

No comments: