Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I went to the ocean




I've lived within 100 miles of the ocean my whole life, but rarely visit, and when I do, I'm delighted. Last weekend, I went to Cape Lookout State Park near Tillamook, OR. I stayed in a yurt and listened to the rain on the roof while eating camp food, playing board games and reading. The yurts are small cylindrical houses, about 15 feet in diameter with conical roofs and skylights at the top. They have lights and heaters, so it's winter camping in luxury. I recommend them.
In the morning, we set off for a muddy, misty hike toward Cape Lookout point. Walking along the edge of a tiny peninsula, we got great views of the coast from many directions. This might have been easier in summer, but I liked the fog. Oregon wilderness always feels a bit prehistoric to me, with all the ferns and moss.
What's with sea foam? I don't think I've ever seen sea foam like this.
We did not forget the Tillamook cheese, and stopped at Blue Heron wine and cheese, where they have a pretty good petting zoo and even have an emu.

No comments: